Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is an understanding of health and wellbeing that dates back more than 2,000 years. The main approach in this form of medicine is incorporating all aspects of existence — body, mind, and even spirit. In simpler terms, TCM is a holistic and preventative philosophy and practice. Practitioners of TCM run through specific diagnostic tools to discover the root cause of the issue — not just the symptoms.
In Taoist theory, the entire universe, including every individual person, is made of two opposing yet complementary forces — yin and yang. One is not better, or more beneficial to have, than the other. With TCM understanding, when these forces are out of balance in a person’s body or mind, disease occurs. They can become unbalanced for many different reasons, and TCM aims to understand and rebalance the body.
When performed by an experienced practitioner, TCM is very safe. However, acupuncture is often performed by inexperienced practitioners. Herbal medicine often interacts with drugs, so taking them could be unsafe for certain people. Here at Merriam Park Acupuncture, our practitioners have undergone rigorous training and licensing by the state Board of Medicine. We use best practices for keeping our patients safe.
There are thousands of years of documentation for Traditional Chinese Medicine. In fact, the Chinese documented every trial and error. We believe that TCM should be used in conjunction with the Western medical system due to its ability to allow your body’s natural healing mechanisms to flourish.
While not a comprehensive list, the following conditions are the top issues we treat:
- Pain — both acute and chronic (includes migraines and headaches)
- Stress — due to external (work, family stress) or internal (mental illness stress) causes
- Infertility — read our testimonials to see how many families we’ve helped become pregnant
- Menopause — hot flashes, dryness, mood swings, insomnia
- Menstrual issues — mood swings, cramps, irregular periods
- Digestive issues — IBS, celiac, constipation, and diarrhea
- Skin issues — includes acne, psoriasis, eczema, and rashes
- Addiction — nicotine and sugar
- Cancer — neuropathy, appetite, nausea, weak immune system
- Autoimmune disorders — Hashimoto’s, fibromyalgia, hyper- or hypo-thyroid, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis
- Stagnant energy — creative blocks